Saturday, October 9, 2010

うちににほんごではなしますか?

こんしゅうはむずかしです。 I don't mean this in a bad way, but I am definitely facing some challenges with the languages this week (although it may just be a matter of perspective).  I feel like this week I have made a few unnecessary errors on my quizzes in both にほんごのクラス or ちゅうごくのクラス, in that I know that I know these things but made careless mistakes.  A point or two on a couple quizzes is also not monumental in magnitude, it is unlikely to determine my grade in the classes nor (and more importantly) will it determine my knowledge of Japanese or Chinese.  And I did just fine on my tests in these classes.  But that's not what I want to focus on here.  I am taking two intense language courses, how will I try to keep on track?

More importantly, it made me realize that I need to "利用一切机会说日文" (that's ちゅうごくご for "use every opportunity to speak Japanese").  It is something I heard all summer long at the Columbia in Beijing Program, if you replace 日文 with 中文.  My ちゅうごくごのせんせい told us this almost every day, and had us repeat it almost every day.

Yet here I am, living with another にほんごのがくせい。  Why shouldn't I practice with him more (aside from the fact that we are both だいがくいんせ so we don't see each other much げつようびからもくようびまで)?  かれは  ニューヨークのにほんの協会 に  にほんごを べんきょうします (NB I am not sure if that's how one would translate "Japan Society", but to my surprise they don't seem to have a Japanese website).  Although I do have some experience with some more complex and more informal things in Japanese, I think we are finally hitting material that I can practice effectively at home.  For example, schedule related material is something that, being married, we have to communicate all the time.  I do realize that married people would not speak as formally as what we are learning now, but that's ok.  I need to remember to put this into practice.  There is one circumstance, where I have already habituated to communicating in Japanese: when I check my email at スターのとしょかん, I use the pre-installed にほんごのkeyboard to chat with him.  The funniest part of that is that my one day visit to とうきょう influenced this habit, as I forced him to read hiragana when I had trouble with the にほんのkeyboard at the りょかん I stayed at.

(P.S. I promise to include some pictures or media or something in the future!)

2 comments:

Tristan said...

I really appreciate your sincere blog post and I sympathize with your struggles. I remember 私たちCV Starr図書館でにほ語べんきようします。せんしゅうのきんようびにおさけを飲みます。

Jing Zhang, Cathy said...

I always admire those who can learn two foreign language at the same time. Would it be confusing sometimes when you encounter Chinese character with different pronunciations and sometimes different meanings in two languages?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com